MASSIVE OPEN ONLINE COLLEGE SOUTH AFRICA

Home Forums MOOCs & the South African Higher Education Landscape Course Guide Are you experiencing problems/ frustrations?

Are you experiencing problems/ frustrations?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Frederick Frederick 2 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Frederick
    Frederick
    Keymaster

Please share any problems that you might be experiencing here. I know that being in a new environment can be frustrating, hence I want to help relieve those frustrations.

Profile photo of Wilma De Villiers
    Wilma De Villiers
    Participant

Hi, Frederick

I submitted my second assignment and then realised that I cannot complete the rubrics.  The questions relate to my peers’ blogs and they have not posted any blogs for the second assignment.

It is a bit of a frustration that the progress is so slow but I do realize that we as students are too blame.  Will it maybe help if the due dates were more clearly defined?

Regards

Wilma de Villeirs

Wilma De Villiers
    Participant

Was thinking … maybe invite people to comment on how they are experiencing the course so far.  Any recommendations, etc?

Wilma

Frederick
    Keymaster

Hi Wilma, Thank you for the submissions. I have moved your submission to the blog post . This will enable you to submit the rubric. I also understand your frustration with the slow pace, and waiting for people to comment on your blog and waiting to comment on theirs. If you remember, at first I and created 2 week deadlines per theme, and this lead to most participants falling through, either giving up or requesting for an extension. I ended up extending the duration (by 8 weeks) of the course as a way of encouraging participation. With this being a new model of learning, I am happy that you are highlighting the cracks, and I will need your advice on how we can encourage more participation without implementing rules that will lead to a high dropout. If you noticed there was increased participation in the second assignment and I am hoping that as the blogs move towards the MOOCs discussions, there will be more interest.

Frederick
    Keymaster

Was thinking … maybe invite people to comment on how they are experiencing the course so far.  Any recommendations, etc?

I will definitely create that space for recommendations

Wilma De Villiers
    Participant

Hi, Frederick

Your quick response is appreciated.

I think that a part of the problem is that when a course is free one is maybe not so dedicated/ committed (?) to submit on time. Maybe a space where one can communicate in a more informal way a ‘bond’ will develop to keep one motivated.

It is an excellent idea that you send us reminders because one’s work schedule is quit hectic and one tends to forget about the assignments.  If you have a work deadline that has to come first.

I think this is a wonderful course and I have certainly learnt a lot.  I have even posted a blog on SKILLS UNIVERSE and the reaction was surprising.

Regards

Wilma

Frederick
    Keymaster

Thanks Wilma for your encouraging words and advice. I was hoping that the Google Community is a good space for informal interaction, as you mentioned to develop that bond. Do you think I should have created a Facebook group instead?

I just browsed over your post in the skills-universe, and it is wonderful to see so much interaction and discussion on the online learning topic. Keep up the good work.

Wilma De Villiers
    Participant

Frederick, it is thanks to your course that I started this interest in on-line learning.  I find SKILLS UNIVERSE a very valuable website.  The people are so willing to share their knowledge.  I also don’t always have the time to read policies, etc. and then I follow the discussions on SKILLS UNIVERSE to say up to date with all the changes in education.

I don’t know – facebook might work.  I myself only recently joined facebook.  I think what will help is if we could share a bit about our professional backgrounds – it also helps with networking.

Has the course closed or can people still start at this stage?

Wilma

Frederick
    Keymaster

Thank you Wilma for the ideas and advice. The course is still open. As for the sharing of professional details, I had created the “Introduce Yourself” section on the Google+ community, in which some members introduced their professions/likes/dislikes to fellow peers. I think I will join Skills Universe, the community there is quite active.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Massive Open Online College SA

MOOC SA is an ambitious project that aims to create an online college full of free courses offered through the goodwill of professionals. It is a good platform for course designers to try out innovations in terms of course delivery. The acronym MOOC was adapted from the fast rising area of interest "Massive Open Online Courses". It is a welcome coincidence that the word "college" does not change the letters in the acronym...Read More...

Course Categories & Disciplines

MOOC SA by Frederick & Wordpress. Creative Commons License